You can use OneDrive for Business to share photos, Microsoft Office documents, other files, and entire folders with people. The files and folders you store in OneDrive for Business are private until you decide to share them, and you can stop sharing at any time.
You can share directly from the OneDrive Sync Client if it is set up on your computer or from OneDrive for Business online.
- Navigate to the file/folder you would like to share.
From a Windows device using the OneDrive sync client right click on the file/folder and select share.
From OneDrive for Business online select the file/folder and select share at the top of the screen. OneDrive for Business online can be accessed by navigating to portal.office.com and selecting OneDrive. (if you are prompted to sign in, please enter your email address and password).
- You will now see the sharing menu below.
- Click the drop-down list option highlighted in red below to choose the type of sharing link, in the majority of instances this should be set to “Specific people”. The options for Link settings will now be displayed, from here where you can change who can access the link and whether people can edit the data being shared.
Specific people – RECOMMENDED
Gives access only to the people you specify, although other people may already have access. If people forward the sharing invitation, only people who already have access to the item will be able to use the link.
By default, Allow editing is turned on. If you want people to only view your files, uncheck the checkbox. You can also further restrict the
When you are done, click Apply
- Enter the names and/or email addresses of the people you want to share with and a message, if appropriate. When you click Send the people you entered will receive an email with a link to the file/folder.
- When you are ready to send the link, click Send.
Anyone with the link – NOT RECOMMENDED (unless using password option)
Gives access to anyone who receives this link, whether they receive it directly from you or forwarded from someone else. This may include people outside of the organization.
People in Creative Education Trust – NOT RECOMMENDED
Gives everyone in your organization access to the link, whether they receive it directly from you or forwarded from someone else.